The adaptive reuse of the Bulletin Building transformed an architecturally and culturally significant 1955 structure into a contemporary life science building in Philadelphia.
A Nod to History
Originally the headquarters of The Evening Bulletin, the country's largest circulation afternoon newspaper, George Howe's design projected a forward-looking, state-of-the-art presence in the postwar period, reestablishing the paper as a modern participant in civic life. The 2020 renovation repositions the building as the commercial hub of the newly developed Schuylkill Yards district.
The new facade replaces original brick masonry and 1990s strip windows. Floor-to-floor panels of low-iron, high-performance glazing dramatically expand daylight for deep floorplates, while revealing research activity to the city.
A new rooftop sign of 12-foot-tall, free-standing stainless-steel letters recalls the bold signage of Howe's work, while announcing Schuylkill Yards as a vital new innovation district in Philadelphia.
Reducing Energy Load
The fritted high-performance glass, solar shading from the frame, and increased insulation throughout the building coupled with other envelope improvements, have reduced the Bulletin Building's energy loads while substantially increasing natural light and views.